Feeling Dry? As the temperature drops, skin can become parched and dry. Give these tips a try to decrease the effects the wintery weather has on your skin.
- Turn down the temperature a few degrees in the house at night
- Don’t blast the heat in your car for prolonged periods of time
- Use a humidifier
- Stop taking long, hot showers
- Apply moisturizer to damp skin
- Add an emollient-based moisturizer to driest areas if your current moisturizer is not enough
- Use a leave-in conditioner in your hair and apply from the ends moving upward
- Drink lots and lots of water!
- Patients using acne medications or products, you may need to adjust your products or include additional hydration measures if you’re feeling dry or dehydrated
Setting Back the Clock: Winter is the perfect time of year to undo the effects of time, sun, and wind. Now that you have survived the holidays, it’s time to start fresh and focus on “the skin you are in”.
-Schedule a full skin examination to check moles, dark spots, and rough patches that will not heal
-It’s the best time to treat brown spots, sun damage, acne scarring, uneven skin tone, skin tags, red spots and fine lines on the neck, legs, arms, back and chest that winter clothing hides as it heals.
-The Perfect Derma Peel is available in the cooler months to jump start anti-aging, help acne and pigmentation, and scarring.
-PDT (Photo Dynamic Therapy) to treat moderate to severe sun damage and actinic keratosis is easiest to do in the winter as well.
-LHR (Laser Hair Removal) is a process extending several months. Starting now ensures that you are almost halfway done if not more by summer months!
Winter Workouts: Did enhancing your physical fitness make your New Year’s resolution list? Here are a few pointers for keeping your skin balanced and maintained while working out.
- WASH YOUR FACE FIRST: No matter when you go to work out (morning, noon, or night). Use lukewarm water and do a quick wash before beginning the workout. No one wants dirt, oils, lotion, or makeup clogging their pores as they sweat.
- BRING A TOWEL: We prefer a hand towel, it’s not too big or too small. If you go with a washcloth, bring two for a heavier workout. Fold the towel several times over and “DAB” your body (Don’t RUB) and then unfold the towel and use a clean portion. Don’t keep using the same damp spot.
- WASH YOUR FACE IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU ARE DONE: Very important. Don’t wait until you get home, or cool down, your pores will have closed up by then locking in all that sweat. Go straight to the bathroom and use lukewarm warm and do a quick wash again. If you don’t have a place to wash quickly, put some cleansing wipes in your gym bag. We love Cetaphil US Gentle Skin Cleansing Cloths, or Envy Medical Clarity MD Skin Clarifying Acne Treatment Pads if you have acneic skin.
- KEEP HAIR OFF THE FACE: Loosely pull hair back from the face. Make sure you are wiping your forehead, sideburn area, and neck with a clean towel often. Hair products can easily mix with sweat and run down the face getting into pores.
- DRINK PLENTY OF WATER: We’re mentioning it again because it’s super important. Keep HYDRATED! Replenish your water from sweating. This truly helps maintain healthy skin.